Part 1: Dry Skin - Five Causes of Dry Skin in Men
With winter fast approaching, it’s time to think about dry skin and how to prevent it. Here are a few leading causes of dry skin.
1. Cold Weather: As the temperature drops, so does the amount of moisture in the air. This can lead to dehydrated skin. To prevent dry skin, bundle up. Scarves, hats, and gloves or mittens help protect your skin when you're outdoors. When indoors, consider using a humidifier to keep the air moist.
2. Medical Conditions or Medications: Dry skin can be caused by conditions such as kidney disease, atopic dermatitis, diabetes, and more or medications like statins or diuretics; in this case, it’s best to speak to a dermatologist who can pinpoint the source of your dry skin.
3. Harsh Ingredients: Many traditional bar soaps, detergents, and shampoos contain harsh ingredients that can strip moisture from your skin because they are formulated to remove oil. They can also irritate the skin. Switch to natural products to avoid harsh ingredients.
4. Hot Showers: It’s hard not to enjoy a hot shower when it’s cold outside, but spend more than 10 minutes in the shower, and you’ll be stripping your skin of its natural oils. Keep it short and try reducing the temperature.
5. Age: Not much you can change about this, but unfortunately, the older you get, the less your body produces oils that help retain moisture. The best thing you can do is moisturize and moisturize some more!
Stay tuned to our next blog about how to learn how to treat dry skin. Hint: Try our Revitalizing Body Lotion and Anti-Aging Face Cream for a fast fix.