Part 2: Dry Skin – 6 Easy Fixes for Men's Dry Skin
Last week, I wrote about five leading causes of dry skin: cold weather, medical conditions/medications, harsh ingredients in detergents, shampoos, hot showers, and even age.
Depending upon the cause, it may require a visit to the dermatologist, especially if you have a medical condition or are on certain medications that exacerbate your dry skin. However, many men (like me) need a few tools to combat everyday dry skin. Here are a few tips, starting with the most obvious given the above causes.
- Limit showers to 10 minutes or less. We all like a hot shower, but the consequences, mainly dry skin and an expensive water bill, are probably what you’d like to do without. After you shower, pat dry with a towel – rubbing will irritate your dry skin – and then, within 5 minutes, follow up with a body and a face moisturizer like Guy Lively Revitalizing Body Lotion and Guy Lively Age-Defying Face Cream.
- Wear layers outside and use a humidifier. As mentioned in the last blog post, when the temperature drops, so does the amount of moisture in the air. This can lead to dehydrated skin. To prevent dry skin, wear layers, so your skin is protected from the cold air. When indoors, consider using a humidifier to keep the air moist.
- Check your personal care product labels. Many traditional bar soaps, body washes, and shampoos contain harsh ingredients that can strip moisture from your skin because they are formulated to remove oil. They can also irritate the skin. Ingredients include sodium lauryl sulfate, artificial fragrances, synthetic dyes, and traditional alcohol.
Note: Plant-derived alcohol, unlike ethyl alcohol derived from petroleum, is milder on the skin. Alcohol is used to help the product more deeply penetrate the skin. Examples of plant-derived alcohol include cetyl, stearyl, and benzyl alcohol, as well as phenoxyethanol.
- Stay hydrated. Your skin cells need water! Drink at least 8 cups of water daily (more if you work out) to avoid dehydration and dry skin.
- Use a gentle cleanser. See # 3 above. If you use a cleanser that has harsh ingredients, your face will be dry. Try a natural face cleanser, such as – my favorite – Guy Lively Age-Defying Face Wash.
- Moisturize! This one is obvious, but how many of us men moisturize daily except maybe after taking a shower? Moisturize twice a day – morning and night to keep your skin hydrated. Hydrated skin looks younger, so another reason to slather it on.